The UN on Tuesday called for an investigation into a fire that killed dozens of migrants at a holding facility in Sanaa after Human Rights Watch said it was started by Houthi rebels. The rights group said the detainees, most of them Ethiopian, had been protesting against overcrowding on March 7 when camp guards rounded up hundreds of them in a hangar. They then fired ‘unidentified projectiles’ into the building, it said. A Houthi spokesman, speaking to AJA, denied the claim.
Protesters stormed the presidential palace in the southern city of Aden Tuesday, angry about poor living conditions and unpaid salaries. Security guards loyal to the UAE-backed Southern Transitional Council were stationed there but didn’t try to stop them.
The war in Yemen is ‘back in full force, the UN’s Special Envoy told a virtual briefing of the UNSC Tuesday. Martin Griffiths told the council that there had been a dramatic deterioration in the more than six-year-long war with a Houthi offensive on Marib – the Yemeni government’s last northern stronghold – putting millions of civilians at risk.
- Most Viewed
- Most Popular